We’re entering the 'SKO season’. Every sales team is going to be looking back at 2019 and ready to head into 2020.
“High-octane performance" and "high-velocity quota attainment” will be all we hear about for the next few months.
One inevitable request from Account Executives will be a deceptively simple one: more pipeline.
For Marketing, SDRs, or full-cycle reps, this will mean getting more inbound or ICP leads and meetings so down-funnel reps can get more eyes on their products and have more chances to close deals.
The Main Driver of Pipeline Generation is the SDR
The person who is dialing, emailing, direct mail-ing, and text messaging.
The SDR is responsible for 3 pipeline-centric goals:
- Book meetings.
- Book a lot of meetings.
- Ensure the meetings are high quality.
As we know, cold call dialing is the preferred method to reach these goals.
What Does a Great Cold Call Look (and Sound) Like?
The truths of objectively excellent cold calling are still a black box. There are mountains of bookmarked articles claiming silver-bullet best practices and tried-and-true techniques.
And yet, The Bridge Group found that one third of all SDRs aren’t hitting quota industry wide.
So how are these SDRs being coached to make their cold calls work. What do they say and do?
Conversation intelligence platforms like Chorus do offer benefits of recording and analysis to SDRs and full-cycle reps. But can cold calls be assessed and coached in the same way as a sales meeting?
Let’s Think About the Differences Between a Cold Call and a Meeting
Data based on 5M+ sales calls from the State of Conversation Intelligence tells us that on a cold call:
- You only have a few seconds to “make it or break it”. The average cold calls lasts a little over 2 minutes. A discovery meeting usually goes on for 32 minutes.
- You have to choose your conversation track wisely. Reps ask on average 3-4 questions versus 8-12 on discovery meetings
- You have to work faster to get your desired result. SDRs have to put in over 100 dials on average to book a meeting. Discovery meetings, on the other hand, result in an opportunity being created about 30% of the time.
SDRs and cold calling in general need to be assessed and coached on differently than sales meetings.
It’s time that the world of sales coaching and enablement rises to this challenge.
Don’t Worry, We’ve Got You
Say Hello to Chorus’ Cold Call Central
We’re excited to announce a completely NEW Chorus experience purpose-built for SDRs and SDR leaders.
The Cold Call Central opens the black box. It can answer the most pressing questions that SDRs and SDR leaders have regarding holistic pipeline generation. Questions like:
- What happened on my team’s calls today?
- Why aren't we getting enough meetings booked?
- Are my reps qualifying the meeting correctly?
Our Cold Call Center zeros in on the front lines by helping the prospector drive more pipeline, build more relationships, and book more meetings.
Search for the Elusive Silver Bullet
We knew this cold call black box existed. We knew that the elusive silver bullet of cold calling is near impossible to define.
So why did we go ahead and build it anyway?
Incorrectly-Labeled Call Disposition Data
In an attempt to diagnose what’s happening in the cold call phase, call dispositions came on the scene to help leaders be the judge.
Well-meant, but not without flaws. Chorus research on cold call data shows 40% of all cold calls are incorrectly dispositioned (or not dispositioned at all).
How can we expect sales leaders to act on data that is only 60% true?
In the worst-case scenario, your SDR leader cannot reliably know why the team is unable to hit their meetings quota when they’re putting in the right level of activity.
As a result, your ability to increase pipeline is stunted. The mystery of what talk tracks cause conversion remains unsolved. Reps claim the contact data isn’t great and that their connects are mostly voicemails, phone trees or gatekeepers who won’t let them through to the real prospect.
Chorus built Cold Call Central to let our AI do what it does best and surface what happens on these early stage sales calls.
See How We Use Smart Call Disposition to Increase Pipeline
95%+ Accuracy with Chorus’s Smart Call Disposition
Rather than having SDRs recollect and fill out dispositions, Chorus’s AI now offers Smart Call Disposition: Machine learning employed to automatically understand and report what happened with the rep’s dials.
In the Chorus Cold Call Central view, SDR managers and leaders can view accurate insights into their team’s calls. This means true data-driven diagnosis, coaching, and holistic pipeline improvement.
The AI-based technology automatically surfaces what happens when an SDR’s call connects. It can accurately report if the call:
- Resulted in the rep connecting with the contact
- Had to go through a gatekeeper
- Used a phone tree
- Got sent over to voicemail
In addition to this, the view also tells SDR leaders:
- What the disposition from the dialer was
- If they’ve reviewed the call or not
- Whether the rep discussed scheduling or now (can dig in to see exact talk tracks used)
- What next steps were discussed on the call (can dig in to see exact talk tracks used)
Access the top cold calling techniques
How SDR Leaders Should Use the Cold Call Central
The Cold Call Central is now the cockpit for the SDR leader to strategize how they can help and coach their team.
There are so many applications of this data. Here is one way that you as an SDR Leader can get the most out of this view.
1. When you log into Chorus, jump onto the Cold Call Central next
This is the place to find solutions to situations like:
- If you have a rep that’s doing a lot but not getting results
- If your team is telling you they’re not getting enough connects
Filter for the relevant rep and find out why they’re not connecting with enough of their prospects.
- If it’s a lot of gatekeepers and phonetrees, you should strategize about data improvements.
- If it’s too much voicemail, ask them to experiment with call timing, and so forth.
You know the drill.
Make Your 1:1s More Impactful
2. Click on Rep Questions and Next Steps to know what your reps are saying.
Check if they’re covering all the engaging questions and doing handoffs right.
You can easily notice if reps are asking all the right qualification questions. Clicking on a question, you can also listen in to see how the prospect responded. Great way to test if the questions are working!
Of course, there’s so much more you can do with the Chorus platform in terms of having AI automatically curate playlists for you, review calls that are automatically surfaced for you, run film reviews and coaching programs with flexible scorecards, etc. Learn more about that here.
If you are an SDR tell your manager about the only Conversation Intelligence platform that’s purpose-built for SDR teams as well.
If you are an SDR leader, this is the solution you've been waiting for. Sign up for a demo here.